Monday, May 21, 2012

A quick quiche!



I've always liked the idea of quiche, but then it seemed to me like there was an awful lot to it - with the pastry and everything. Most quiche recipes I have come across in the past require you to chill the pastry in the fridge for an hour, then blind bake it, which all just seemed like a bit too much effort.  I was afraid I might starve before the quiche even made its way into the oven. 



Anyway, I did a bit of research and experimenting, and have come up with a quick quiche! Quick in the sense that all you've to do for the pastry is mix some flour, butter and water together to form the dough. Then roll it out and you're done. (Well, pastry wise!

Then you just need to decide what filling you'd like and you're almost there! I just so happen to have  come up with what I think is the most delicious quiche filling ever, so here are all the details...

The only bit I'm not too fond of is mixing the pastry, I didn't realise before, but I hate getting my hands all messy. Ew! 


Ingredients

Pastry

  • 125g plain flour
  • 50g butter or margarine
  • 2 tablespoons of cold water (approx)

Filling 

  • Spinach (about a handful)
  • 1 &1/2 tomatoes
  • Feta cheese (as much as you like, I suppose, maybe 90g)
  • 2 or 3 egges (depending on how big they are!)
  • 1/4 pint of milk
  • Black pepper
  • Basil 
Method
  • Find a flan dish (approx 9") and lightly grease it
  • Heat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5
  • Sieve the flour into a bowl, add the butter or margarine - rub it in
  • Add enough water so that it is soft, but not really wet and sticky!
  • Roll the pastry onto a flour-covered surface with a rolling pin 
  • Put it into the flan dish 

  • Lay your spinach onto the pastry
  • Then chop up the feta and add that 
  • Then slice the tomato and place on top
  • Whisk the eggs and milk together
  • And add lots of black pepper and basil, or however much you like
  • Bake in the oven for about 35 minutes, or until it looks cooked!


I love this, the pastry is soooo good, I really dont know why anyone would spend so much time doing it the other way!

Enjoy!




15 comments:

  1. That looks tempting and easy. Being even lazier, I tend to make Nigella's pastry-less quiche. But I call it something else when people come round in case they think I'm slacking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! I like that idea Mise, i'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love quiches but have never tried making my own so I like the sound of this quick quiche. I've not made a lot of pastry - I hate getting my hands dirty too and tend to use gloves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I never thought of gloves, I'll know for next time!!

      Delete
  4. Messy hands?...Nevermind! As long as this quiche is yummy and good :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was worth it in the end :-)

      Delete
  5. oh goodness i want it right now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't mind some of it right now either!!

      Delete
  6. I haven't made a quiche in awhile, like yourself I always found the pastry bit a bit of a hassle..so this would be very interesting to try out. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Magie, you should give it a go - so easy!

      Delete
  7. Oh, I always need a reminder that quiche is a great quick dinner. I'm not ashamed to say that sometime I use the frozen pastry - feel free to judge. Feta and tomatoes is one if my favorite combos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I would never judge Meghan! I'm usually a fan of frozen pastry!!!

      Delete
  8. wow brilliant! i'm always looking for simple quiche recipes coz home-made is sooo much better. i made one quiche that was so complicated we didn't eat dinner until about 10pm. won't be making that one again. will definitely try yours. thanks. have you managed to go running? B

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Becca, oh this wont take long at all to make!!
    I did go running - but haven't since! So I'm going to sign up for a race next month - that will force me to run!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good idea - good luck!! i'm about to blog on your great quiche recipe. B

      Delete