Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Cupcakes, Bicycles, Picnics and Sunshine!



Wow, isn't the weather amazing?! For the last week or so I feel like I've been on holidays, even though I most certainly have not been! But everything seems so much nicer and brighter when the sun is out!  Over the weekend, I decided I needed to make the most of the sun, just in case this is the only bit we get this "Summer".  So, I started with a nice strawberry daiquiri on Friday after work, with my lovely friend Emma. Then, all day Saturday, even though it was lovely out, I spent most of the day indoors making cupcakes! 

They looked nicer later when they were displayed on fancy cake stands! 

But it was for a very good cause! It was Auntie Mary's - of Auntie Mary's Bean Stew- birthday party on Saturday night and I had to make her some cupcakes! My little sister told me recently I should just stick to making cupcakes because they are what I do best. I'm not sure if that was a compliment or if she was implying something about everything else that I attempt to bake! Anyway the cupcakes turned out lovely! I had asked Mary what flavours she'd like and thankfully she picked vanilla and chocolate - my favourites! I used my trusty old Primrose Bakery Cupcake book and they turned out yum! If you want the recipe for the vanilla ones you can get it here. If you want the chocolate recipe, leave me a message and if I have to, I'll type it out! 




So after a fab party at Mary's (Happy Birthday Auntie!) with all her delicious food, I still managed to plan the following day around more food. We met our friends Ste & Trish, or Strish as I sometimes like to collectively call them, in the park for a picnic. Well, Ste just asked me if we wanted to meet them in the park, I may have kinda convinced him into agreeing to a picnic! But sure who doesn't like a good old-fashioned picnic! 

I cycled over with Dorothy, my husband and his unnamed bike. Ever since I got my new bike I feel like I'm ten years old, cycling is like my absolute favourite thing to do! (And I still like to take lots of photos of her!) So you can imagine how excited I was to go cycling on a sunny day to meet friends for a picnic! Unfortunately due to the fact I was cycling I couldn't bring my big massive picnic basket, but I was able to squeeze a fair bit into my bicycle basket. I made rolls with humous, lettuce, sun-dried tomatoes and avocado. ( I don't really need to expand on that recipe!) And for desert we all brought a load of strawberries and I just happened to have plenty of buttercream icing left over from Mary's cupcakes. So it was a perfect topping for the fruit!  



After eating, the boys played football while me and Trish looked at them. We did join in later. Well, I stood at the goal just incase the ball came my way. I was much more into the badminton we played after that. I forgot how much I love badminton. It is quite difficult to play when it is windy - which  I learned- and actually we were all pretty terrible but it was great fun. I'll have to practice for next time. I envision plenty more badminton games and picnics this Summer. We have to think positive!



Anyway hope you have some sunshine wherever you are!


6 comments:

  1. Hello Clare:
    How simply wonderful all of this sounds. And we simply love a proper picnic of the kind which you describe here although, as you might well expect, we should forgo taking part in the game of football afterwards.

    Our days of brilliant sunshine here have somewhat disappeared to be replaced with cloudy skies and rain showers. We trust not for long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane and Lance, oh I hope you get some more sunshine soon! :-)

      Delete
  2. Love your bike - I have always wanted one with a basket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CC! The basket is the most important thing when looking for a new bike!

      Delete
  3. All sounds perfect. Love the idea of cycling of with a big basket of goodies for a picnic. I think you may have jinxed the weather though :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Choclette! I know, I think I may have spoke too soon!!

    ReplyDelete