Monday, April 9, 2012

Easter Egg Nest Cake



Hope everyone is having a lovely Easter! I decided to make a chocolate cake since I gave up chocolate and cake for lent. I actually stuck to it this year, so it's definitely time for a celebration cake!

I had been thinking for a while about the type of cake I might make and then I came across Nigella's Easter Egg Nest Cake recipe which I thought would be perfect! I had envisioned two chicks on top of my Easter cake so I made them with golden marzipan - that was actually my favourite part of the whole cake making process!


They were a bit heavy and started sinking into the pool of chocolate cream!


This cake is the first Nigella recipe I have ever made! And it turned out really nice, the only thing was that  I found the sponge to be, well, almost a bit bitter!  I used 70% dark chocolate, which I like and usually use whenever a recipe calls for dark chocolate, so I don't know,  maybe it's because I haven't eaten chocolate in so long. But the chocolate cream and little easter eggs even it out anyway, so it's still nice to eat. Next time I might use a lower percentage of cocoa.  But it's a really easy cake to make and there isn't any flour in it which is interesting. I'll have to stock up on a few Nigella books now and try out some more of her recipes! Happy Easter! 

8 comments:

  1. Yummy, what cute little marzipan chicks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Magie, I love the chicks!

      Delete
  2. instead of putting in less cocoa, add some salt :) according to Hestin Bleumin-whatsit adding some salt to chocolate makes it sweeter and it goes perfectly with dark chocolate. Im sure if you googled about it you would get the correct ratio but I think its only a few pinches for something as large as a cake? hope that helps x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh Sarah, thanks for the tip - I'll try that next time! x

      Delete
  3. Happy Easter! I'm impressed that you stuck to not eating chocolate or cake for Lent - I would have caved by day 2. This is definitely a lovely cake to celebrate - I love using Nigella's recipes, always works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll definitely be trying out more Nigella recipes over the next while!

      Delete
  4. Your Easter cake looks very chocolate-licious! I actually prefer the less sweet and rich kind of chocolate flavours in my chocolate cake. Your 2 little chicks are very cute :D

    ReplyDelete