Monday, April 30, 2012

Beetroot Salad


Up until  about two years ago, I'm ashamed to say, I had  never eaten beetroot. I don't know why, but it was just one of those things. I didn't really like the look of it and presumed I wouldn't like the taste either. Then I remember talking to my friend - the lovely Lisa - about onions one day, as you do, and I was horrified to hear she didn't eat them! I wondered how she got by in life without eating onions and I even questioned our friendship, knowing this about her. I mean, you have to eat onions, they are in everything and they make things taste better! So I decided some tough love was in order, I told her she needed to grow up and eat onions! 


And she did! She phoned me a few days later and told me she ordered onions in her sandwich at work. Ah, bless! Anyway, I was so happy for her but then I decided I really needed to take my own advice, I needed to grow up and eat beetroot! Or at least try it. So, I did and I was pleasantly surprised! Now, I don't think it's absolutely amazing tasting or anything, and if I had to  I could certainly live without it, but overall it's nice enough! 

The professional version


To prove how much my effection towards beetroot has changed, I ordered it last week when I was out for dinner. I didn't know what to expect when I saw that it was accompanied by feta cheese and walnuts, but it was absolutely delicious! A wonderful combination! 

So I tried to make my own version, based on the photo I had taken. I didn't know what the pink sauce was made up of, so for my one, I just used some pink liquid from the jar of beetroot and some mayonnaise. That's the first ever dressing I have made, simple I know, but I'm inspired now to try out loads more!

Here's my recipe, it's very simple and quick....

Ingredients

  • Beetroot
  • Walnuts
  • Feta cheese
  • Spinach 
  • Olive oil
  • Mayonnaise
  • Beetroot juice 


Method

  • Place the beetroot on the plate
  • Crumble some feta cheese and place on top
  • Put some baby spinach leaves on top
  • Chop up some walnuts and sprinkle over
  • Drizzle some olive oil over the spinach
  • Mix mayonnaise with some beetroot juice (from the jar) until you get a lovely bright pink colour
  • Then drizzle it around in a nice pink circle 



I like the colours and it turned out just as nice as it was in the restaurant. Although my pink dressing wasn't presented as well as the professional one. I'll have to work on that.

It's a kinda different and delicious type of meal!

 Anyone got any other ideas for beetroot? I'm intrigued by beetroot now!

Oh and just a note, I think I'm gonna turn my Monday Meals into Monthly Meals now, or maybe just once every so often meals!

14 comments:

  1. Looks lovely - I think beetroot needs a strong cheese like feta or goats cheese to balance it out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, they do go really well together!

      Delete
  2. A pint of Guinness beside it out of respect for the restaurant version, perhaps? It looks good. Beetroot chocolate brownies next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beetroot brownies sound like something that could be worth experimenting with! Hmmm!

      Delete
  3. Beetroot and feta, YUM!! Beetroot was one of my favourite vegetables when I was little, probably because it's pink!

    You could try making beetroot chutneys? I made some before christmas which were quite tasty, especially in sandwiches. I also made some beetroot brownies which turned out to be quite controversial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh good ideas thanks Jo, I'd like to know more about the controversial brownies!!

      Delete
  4. The salad looks nice, the pink dressing is quite a pretty pink colour. I must admit I am not a huge fan of eating beet..though I do love beet tops ( Steamed like spinach with a bit of butter and salt..really good). I have tried beet root brownies one time, they were quite nice as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh beet tops -sounds nice - must try them out sometime!

      Delete
  5. Hello Clare:
    We have discovered you quite by chance having seen the comment which you left on Mise's most wonderful blog. Anyone who wants pink pans must be a)spirited and b) interesting. Both of which, having seen your recent posts, you are.

    Cooked beetroot, served hot as a vegetable, is superb, we assure you. Rather messy to prepare, but get someone to do that for you. We could never ourselves be counted in any way as cooks but we do love good food to eat, and adore all things home made and so, in order not to miss future delights, we are signing up as Followers. And when you get those pans, do post!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane and Lance! Oh thank you for thinking I'm spirited and interesting!!
      Those milk pans of Mise's are fabulous, like most things she shares on her lovely blog! Glad to have you as followers :-) I've just popped over to your blog - it's wonderful!
      And I will look into cooking beetroot, sounds good. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. I'm also a recent convert to beetroot, having steered well clear of it for many years. And I agree, its really not that bad. I have now actively enjoyed cooking it in risotto and burgers!! And I shall certainly be giving your beautifully presented salad a go when the weather improves a bit!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex, oh glad to hear you are embracing beetroot too!
      Risotto sounds like a really good idea to try! I've also had it in burgers before and really like it.

      Delete
  7. I never used to like beetroot either but now I really like it! I usually have it in salads but I've also tried a cold beetroot soup, beetroot juice (didnt like it) and I've baked chocolate and beetroot cake a few times - yum! I think you did a great job re-creating the salad, it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Baking Addict! Wow you've certainly tried a lot of beetroot dishes. I like the sound of chocolate and beetroot cake!

      Delete