Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Thai Green Curry



Hope everyone had a lovely weekend! I did, in fact so much so  that I forgot to post a Monday Meal yesterday! Oops! Well it was a bank holiday after all! Anyway here it is, a day late. 

I decided to make a Thai Green Curry in honour of our Patron Saint over the weekend. I love Thai Green Curry and have made it loads of times before. But this one was different because I actually made it from scratch.

I had previously thought that making it from scratch was what I was doing when I used a little jar of shop-bought  paste and a tin of coconut milk to make the sauce. However I was informed  it's only 100% homemade when you make your own paste! Initially that sounded very daunting and then when I realised lime leaves and lemongrass stalks were required I almost gave up altogether. But I struggled on and I'm glad to say I finally did it! And once I got a hold of all the random ingredients it was really pretty simple. So if you'd like to try it yourself, read on!


I based this recipe on one of Jamie Oliver's but I changed bits and pieces so this is my adapted version. 

You'll need some sort of food processor type thing to make the paste. I used The Magic Bullet - another genius kitchen appliance. It's up there with the rice cooker. I usually just use it to make smoothies but from now on I think I'll be making more curry pastes and other interesting things. I was so happy how this paste turned out :-)

This serves about 2 or 3 people. Depends how hungry they are.

Ingredients

For the actual curry 

  • Bunch of asparagus
  • 1/2 fresh red chilli
  • Tofu ( I used half a packet) 
  • 1 400ml tin of coconut milk
  • Handful of mangetouts
  • Handful of baby corn 
  • 1 tablespoon groundnut oil
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil

For the green curry paste 

  • 2 stalks of lemongrass
  • 4 spring onions
  • 3 fresh green chillies 
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • a thumb-sized piece of fresh root ginger
  • large bunch of fresh coriander
  • 1 teaspoon of coriander seeds
  • 8 dried lime leaves
  • 4 tablespoons soy sauce


To make the curry paste

  • Trim the lemon grass stalks and discard the outer leaves, and crush the stalks by bashing them a few times with a rolling pin
  • Trim the spring onions
  • Halve and deseed the green chillies
  • Peel and roughly chop the garlic and ginger


  • Set aside a few sprigs of fresh coriander, and whiz the rest in a food processor (or magic bullet!) with the lemongrass stalks, spring onions, chillies, garlic, ginger, coriander seeds and lime leaves until everything is finely chopped (It will smell powerful! But amazing!)


  • While whizzing, pour in the soy sauce and blitz again until you have a smooth paste


To make the curry

  • Slice the asparagus lengthways
  • Cut the tofu into cubes


  • Finely chop the red chilli and put to one side
  • Place a large wok on high heat 
  • When it's really hot add the oils, swirl them around and add the tofu
  • Add the asparagus, baby corn and the curry paste and stir fry for about a minute


  • Pour in the coconut milk and add the mangetouts
  • Give it all a good stir, bring to the boil and cook for a few minutes
  • I added another bit of soy sauce at this point
  • Cut the lime in half and squeeze the juice into the curry
  • It should be cooked by now!

Serve with rice or noodles and sprinkle some coriander leaves and chopped red chilli on top!



This curry tasted amazing - the nicest one I ever had! I don't think I'll buy curry paste ever again -  not since I'm sooo good at making it myself now!  I'm telling you making it from scratch pays off! You should so give it a go!

2 comments:

  1. Admirably enterprising! I guess you could make lots of paste and refrigerate it for a few meals?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea Mise! Yes I'll have to start making big batches of paste!

      Delete