Friday, March 30, 2012

Spinach and Feta Scones


A few weekends ago I saw this recipe in a Sunday paper. I thought it sounded interesting, but then again I always think random recipes seem interesting. But when I was on the phone to my friend Lis that night she said she'd something amazing to tell me: that she had found a recipe for spinach & feta scones in the paper and that I had to make them! So if that wasn't a clear sign I needed to make these...


Anyway I've never made scones before in my life, not ever. I've heard how they are so quick to make and all that, and I know they are seemingly the first thing you learn in home economics. If only I could travel back in time and tell my 12 year-old self to choose home ec instead of traipsing around school with a T-square with plans of becoming an architect!  Where are the guidance counsellors when children are making these life changing decisions?! I'm sure I would have been much more content making and eating scones in class instead of staring into space, not knowing what to do with the big giant ruler.


Anywho I'm over that now! And I've finally made my first set of scones. I thought they turned out very nice. I never tasted savory scones before so I wasn't sure what to expect but they were good. I may have slightly overdone them but sure it doesn't matter. 

Ingredients

  • 300g (10 oz) self-raising flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 225ml (8fl oz) milk 
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 small teaspoon French mustard
  • 110g (4 oz) feta cheese (crumbled)
  • 110g frozen spinach, thawed and chopped, or handful of fresh baby leaves roughly chopped (I used fresh ones)


Method

  • Put the self-raising flour into a bowl
  • Break the eggs into a separate bowl and add in the milk, some salt and freshly ground black pepper, the French mustard, the feta and the spinach

  • Pour the wet ingredients into the dried ones, making a sort of lumpy dough

  • Turn the dough out onto a floured board and shape into a thick, flattish round

  • Cut into wedges and put them on a greased or floured tin and bake in an oven - preheated 190C/375F/Gas 5 - for about 30 minutes until they are cooked through



Since I've learned how quick and easy scones are to make, I think I'm gonna go crazy and try all different types of scones in the coming months. Next time I'll definitely try make some sweet ones. Oh yeah, I love a nice scone! 

6 comments:

  1. Those look really good..I will have to try these, I haven't tried spinach and feta in scones before. I make savoury cheese and chilli scones those are quite nice to have..just with some shredded cheese and some chilli flakes :)
    Ps: I love your china set!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Magie, my Mam gave me the china set - I love it too! Cheese & chilli scones sound like a nice combination!

      Delete
  2. Spinach and feta is a super combination. May I suggest chocolate scones to be eaten with raspberry jam and cream?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, chocolate scones have never even crossed my mind! I'll certainly look into that - and with raspberry jam and cream? perfection! Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
  3. That's probably the easiest recipe for scones in my life! they look really good, must get mam to try them out cos she loves spinach :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sarah, yeah I was so surprised how easy they were to make! And if Auntie Annie's a spinach fan I'm sure she'll like them! x

      Delete