Wednesday, March 14, 2012

R.I.P Doris Daewoo



Your first car plays a very important role in your life, doesn't it? I mean it's a major milestone to finally have your own set of wheels. I was so happy when I got my first car many moons ago. Getting her was one of the top things on my to-do list in life at the time, partly because learning to drive was also high up on that list.  And nobody seemed that keen on lending me a car to practice in, my Dad mentioned something about how expensive crash repairs were when I suggested driving his. He was right, now that I think about it. Anyway, I saved up and finally found my dream car online. She was beautiful. A maroon, 1.4 litre, kinda sporty looking, hatch-back Daewoo Lanos. With electric windows! I was in love! I was also really afraid she would get snapped up quickly, and I had to work at the time, so I sent my Dad to go and have a look at her for me. He's good with cars. He came back with a great report. So I decided I'd buy her!

I remember the first time I met her. It was a rainy night and we went to the garage. I brought my Dad to negotiate, as you do, and also because my driving skills at the time weren't really road worthy, so he did the test drive while I sat beside him admiring the interiors and checking it had the important stuff like a CD player and cup holders. 

I fell head over heels in love with her and immediately christened her Doris Daewoo, in homage to one of my favourite actresses ever, Doris Day. Oh yeah, I love her!  Calamity Jane? A singing cowgirl, a western and a musical, all in one?! You can't get better than that!

So once she was christened, she became my new best friend. I finally learned to drive thanks to Doris. She was there with me for all my driving tests, the last one obviously being the best day for us both. My little sis Anne-Marie also  learned how to drive with Doris. She also gave Doris her first major injury. A nice big scrape on the front bumper. I'm obviously not that observant because seemingly it  was there over a year before I noticed.  And Anne-Marie passed her test thanks to Doris. Of course she only had to do hers the one time! 

Once I was a fully fledged driver I ventured further a field with Doris, and we went on great trips together, we did a loop of most of Ireland one Summer, and she frequented the Electric Picnic on a few occasions. We also brought Granny to hospital appointments, which was fun especially when Granny  would give us directions to go up one way streets; the wrong way of course. Doris really was like a person though, my friends would ask after her by name. Everyone loved her. She had lots of quirks, like the electric windows would always get stuck and the CD player seemed to swallow CDs and never return them. I almost got a hammer out when it ate my Best of Blondie CD.

I thought I'd have her my whole life, that she'd turn into some old classic car. I just loved her so much. But then I decided I'd head off to Canada and my love and loyalty towards her somehow faded when I realised I could turn her into quick cash! Ah gasp! I was so cold-hearted back then!

So that was kinda the end of my relationship with Doris. I sold her to my uncle. I wanted to keep it in the family and I knew he'd treat her well. On my return from my travels I ended up living close by to my uncle and I would walk past Doris most days on my way to and from work. Every time I saw her parked there on the street, I'd smile and say hello. Sometimes I'd even see her and my uncle stuck in traffic along the quays on weekday mornings as I'd whiz past them in the bus lane. (I was on the bus obviously. I'm not an illegal bus lane user!) And that was a regular occurrence up until Christmas just gone. When tragedy struck. Doris was involved in an accident. Fortunately, thank God, my lovely uncle and cousin were ok, but poor Doris, died. Seemingly she was beyond repair. 

She has now taken her last journey.

So I just thought I'd share her story so her memory will live on. She was an amazing car. A true lovely thing!

I am now on my second car, a lovely Beetle.  I named him Boris, as a nod to Doris.

2 comments:

  1. Aaaaahhh....I loved your story, but I am a little sad...
    Some cars, especially the ones that we drive when driving and a new independence are so new and exciting, hold so many memories and experiences that it is hard to say good-bye.
    Thanks for sharing your sweet story. I hope that Boris can live up to Doris's heritage. :) Joyce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks Joyce! Boris is doing good so far! :-)

      Delete