Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Kirstie's Banana Cake



So I made this Banana Cake a few weeks ago. I was flicking through the Kirstie Allsopp Craft book that I got for Christmas and was surprised to see a Food Crafts chapter.  When I landed on the Banana Cake page and then glanced at the almost gone off bunch of bananas hanging in the kitchen, I knew I needed to make this cake. It's a really quick and easy recipe with simple ingredients.





I was one banana short and I'm sure it would have tasted better if I had the extra one but still it turned out quite nice. I was expecting it to be a bit sweeter but I shouldn't have had my hopes up as there is no sugar in the recipe! At least it's healthy. Also I've started using wheat and gluten free flour and nobody notices so I think I'll keep it up!



Ingredients

  • 4 ripe bananas
  • 150g melted butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 175g plain flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

Method

  • Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas mark 4
  • Line a 21 x 11 cm loaf tin with greaseproof paper
  • Mash up the bananas in a large bowl



  • Then mix in the butter and eggs
  • Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well



  • Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and place in the oven for 45 mins (I'd recommend 30 or 35 mins - be careful!)
  • The cake is ready when a skewer stuck into the middle comes out clean




So there it is! It may not be the sweetest cake around but it's quite nice. And think of all the potassium it's providing you with from those bananas!

7 comments:

  1. mmm this bread looks delicious. just what i need to get me through the day! will try it out. thanks. becca

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh you should give it a go - it's really quick and easy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delicious looking banana cake! There's really nothing better for breakfast, and I'm a total sweet breakfast girl. Thanks for sharing. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Georgia, I love sweet things for breakfast too! And now that I think about it this cake is ideal for a quick breakfast!!

      Delete
  4. I'm looking for a nice banana cake recipe - you have helped me out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! Glad to be of some help :-)

      Delete
  5. That sounds like a good excuse for eating more cake...I must have another slice as I need the potassium...I'll remember that one for future use!! :-)

    ReplyDelete