Thursday, March 1, 2012

Cherry Bakewell Cupcakes



Don't worry, I haven't broken my lent promise to not bake cakes! I baked a couple of things a while ago that I never got round to sharing, including these babies that I made back in January. I made them for my Mother's birthday to accompany her lemon birthday cake.  I got the recipe from The Great British Bake Off How to Bake cookbook which my Mam actually got me for Christmas.





My newfound idol Mary Berry graces the cover and the book includes some of her own recipes, so technically this could be my second Mary Berry book?! I know I still have a few more to go but this Mary Berry book collection of mine is steadily growing!




So this recipe caught my eye for a few reasons. First of all I had all the ingredients in -which always helps- and secondly, I always like any cake that has bakewell in the name, and thirdly, well, they just looked really good in the book! So although this isn't one of Mary Berry's own recipes she does give a very useful tip when it comes to the cherries. Here it is: "When using glace  cherries, you should make sure they are washed and dried very well , otherwise the syrup they are kept in will leak into your icing, if being used to decorate the cake, or cause the cherries to sink to the bottom of the sponge cake during baking." That makes so much sense doesn't it? She's such a genius! 



Ingredients

For the cupcakes
  • 150g unsalted butter (very soft)
  • 150g caster sugar
  • 100g self raising flour
  • 3 large eggs (at room temperature, beaten)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 60g ground almonds
  • 1 tablespoon milk (at room temperature) 
  • 4 tablespoons raspberry jam (I used strawberry instead)
For the icing
  • 250g icing sugar
  • 3 tablespoons strained fresh lemon juice
  • 12 glace cherries (non-dyed, rinsed and drained)


Method
  • Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/gas 5 
  • Beat the butter with an electric mixer until creamy
  • Add all the other ingredients for the cupcakes, except the jam,  and beat until light and creamy
  • Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases, dividing it evenly
  • Level the mixture in each case using your fingertip

  • Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch, and a skewer inserted into the centre of a cupcake comes out clean
  • Remove each cupcake from the tray and place on a wire rack
  • Leave to cool completely
  • To make the icing, sift the icing sugar into a mixing bowl and work in enough of the strained lemon juice to make a thick, but spoonable and runny icing
  • Set aside
  • Using an apple corer, remove the centre from each cupcake, cutting only two-thirds of the way down
  • Stir the jam with a teaspoon until it's a little runny, then carefully spoon into the holes in the cupcakes until the jam just reaches the top (don't over-fill)


  • Beat the icing using a teaspoon, then spoon it over the top of each cupcake to fold the surface until the icing reaches the sides of the paper case
  • Take care that the jam doesn't become mixed into the icing
  • Add a cherry to the middle immediately and leave to set


And that's it. I thought they were delicious and I will definitely make them again someday. Also, I was very happy to learn about using an apple corer to get the jam in the middle. I had always thought you must need some jam syringe type thing, but no, the apple corer makes perfect sense! Only thing is the recipe didn't say what you were meant to do with the bits of sponge you removed. I took it upon myself to just eat them! 


9 comments:

  1. What lovely cupcakes - you can't beat those bakewell flavours for something tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The apple corer is ingenious. I'll take six of these please, and put me down for a regular order of 12 on Fridays. What, this isn't a shop? How disappointing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha - I'd eat myself out of business if I had a shop!!

      Delete
  3. these are so cute. I also love anything bakewell related. Good luck with lent, I wouldn't have enough willpower to give up baking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard a lot of Mary Berry too and would like to make the "star" of my event too in the future.

    These cupcakes are such a classic hit for a nice and relaxing English style afternoon tea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I agree Zoe- they are perfect for afternoon tea!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i stared in a mini film with a junior bakeoff finalist, and baked these. they are delicious. we also adapted the recipie by adding lemon curd instead of jam, and a sweet instead of a cherry! it was great fun and hope anyone who bakes these has just as much enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete