Monday, March 5, 2012

Cabbage Soup/Stew



This might not sound like  the loveliest of meals but I think it's actually quite tasty! Remember a while ago everyone was going crazy on the cabbage soup diet? It basically involved eating only cabbage soup everyday and then you loose like ten stone in a week! Or something crazy like that!  Anyway this is my version of cabbage soup but because I don't blend it and it's kinda chunky I consider it more of a  cabbage stew. I like it because its's really easy to make and full of cabbage and vegetables which are good for you! Also most of the ingredients like the celery are seemingly 'negative calorie' foods and that sounds good too! Anyway I don't think I could live only on cabbage soup and I wouldn't advise anyone to either. But if you just want a different kind of soup for lunch, or if you want to make yourself feel like you're being very healthy then you should try this. I bet you'll be surprised at how nice it is!



Ingredients

  • 3 large onions
  • 1 large green pepper
  • 1 head of celery 
  • 1 half of dark green cabbage
  • 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
  • About 2 litres of vegetable stock -(3 stock cubes)


Method

  • Cut all the vegetables into small pieces
  • Place in a large pot  
  • Add the tomatoes
  • Add the vegetable stock, there should be enough water so that it covers all the ingredients
  • Season with some  black pepper
  • Bring to the boil then simmer until the vegetables are soft





Very quick and easy! Enjoy - well at least try to anyway!! 



2 comments:

  1. Lovely! It's always been the joke in my family that I am the cabbage queen - I can eat such serious quantities of it (savoy and hispi/pointed being my faves). This looks like my heaven in a bowl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good! Glad somebody else appreciates cabbage! Hope you like the soup!

    ReplyDelete