So this Monday Meal is of the breakfast variety!
I love this time of year, there are just so many random things to celebrate; Valentines Day tomorrow, Pancake Tuesday next week and before we know it St.Patrick will be popping up everywhere. Then there's Easter. It's just non-stop celebratory events! Anyway, my two favourites have to be Valentines Day & Pancake Tuesday; hearts everywhere and eating enormous amounts of pancakes on a Tuesday. Life just doesn't get much better than that, does it? So, what better way to mix them together than heart shaped pancakes!
My favourite pancakes are the American style, thick fluffy ones, opposed to the flat crepe type ones, although I do like them too! But I just recently discovered - thanks to Jamie Oliver - that in order to get the American style ones you should use self-raising flour. Which totally makes sense now that I think about it.
If you fancy making these for the love of your life, or just for yourself, you should give them a go, they are eeeeasy! And this recipe makes a lot of batter so you can make millions of small ones! Here's the info....
- 1 cup/mug of self-raising flour
- 1 cup/mug of milk
- 1 egg (organic or free range)
- 1 large banana
- Pinch of salt
- Icing sugar
- Maple syrup
- Strawberries (blueberries would be nice on the side too!)
- Peel your banana then chop it into slices, along with the strawberries (leave to the side)
- Crack the egg into a big enough mixing bowl
- Add the flour, milk and pinch of salt
- Whisk them all together until the batter is smooth
- Heat the pan on a medium heat and add some butter
- Once the butter has melted and the pan is hot, place your heart shape down and pour the batter into it
- Then add your chopped bananas evenly around
- Cook for a few of minutes and flip over with a spatula to cook the other side
- When the pancake is lightly browned/cooked put it onto a plate
- Wipe the pan clean with kitchen towel before beginning again
When you have a couple of hearts ready, sprinkle with icing sugar, drizzle with some maple syrup and place your chopped strawberries on top or on the side.
Enjoy with someone lovely!
Happy Valentines Day! Xx