Monday, February 20, 2012

Leek and Mushroom Risotto



I was in Easons a while ago, with my Dad, we both love books and he had a voucher so we spent a while browsing the shelves. My Dad quickly enough picked out some historic saga and then insisted that I used the rest of the voucher. (Dads are the best aren't they?!) So I took a while trying to decide which out of all the wonderful books I might bring home and eventually decided on a hardback fashion memoir of some American reality star (that I'll hide at the back of my bookshelf behind War and Peace) and a tiny little cookbook  with a nice photograph of risotto on the front. 


That risotto on the cover, has turned out to be one of my favourite quickest and mess-free  meals ever. Although I never would have guessed it. I used to have a bit of an issue with risotto. To look at, it's not always the most attractive of dishes, it used to remind me of porridge or baby food. And I always thought it was a bit of a cop-out when it was served as a vegetarian meal at an event or on a menu because it looked so bland, while all the meat-eaters got more variety and colour. But eventually I realised good risotto can taste sooo good.  Something just switched. I now love risotto and I seem to like that it looks a bit plain.


So this recipe is great in that you only need one big bowl to make it in, you don't need to mess up any pots or pans, it's perfect! The only thing is you cook it in a microwave. That obviously makes it handy,  as you don't have to stand over a pot stirring, but it's just that I also  have a bit of an issue with microwaves. I don't think they are that good, health wise. It's all the waves I suppose. And I read something about them leaking radiation!  Hope I'm not frightening you! Anyway,  on occasion I use it. 

Ingredients
  • 25g/1oz butter
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 leek (cut into thin slices)
  • 1 garlic clove (crushed)
  • 300g/10oz risotto rice
  • 850ml/1&1/2 pints hot vegetable stock
  • 250g/9oz chestnut mushrooms (sliced)
  • 50g/2oz fresh parmesan (grated)
  • green salad to serve (I think it's nice with asparagus too)

Method
  • Put the butter, oil, leek and garlic into a large bowl


  • Cover with cling film and cook on high for 5 minutes
  • Stir the rice into the hot leeks, then stir in the stock and season


  • Cook, uncovered, on High for 10 minutes 
  • Throw in the mushrooms, stir and cook on high for 6 minutes


  • Mix in half the parmasen and leave the risotto to stand for five 


  • Serve with a green salad and the remaining parmasen for sprinkling



Hope you like it!

2 comments:

  1. Well now I know what I want for dinner!! And what a way to get your greens in... Yum-oh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, greens are the only thing I can ever think of to have with it!! :-)

    ReplyDelete