Monday, February 27, 2012

Jamie Oliver's Tomato Soup


I've always liked watching Jamie Oliver. I love how passionate he is about whatever it is he's cooking and I also love how he's trying to save the world and make it a better place by  ensuring children have good healthy food in schools and all that. While I've always watched him whenever he's on TV, I never really paid too much attention to what he was cooking.  Anyway things have changed. My husband got a present of Jamie Oliver's Ministry of Food cookbook for Christmas and one day he made the most amazing scrambled eggs from that book. So I decided to rob it off him and have since found that there are lots of interesting meals and dishes inside of it. Most of the ingredients are simple ones that you don't have to search high and low for, and the recipes are laid out well with easy to follow instructions, which I like, a lot. 



So, one such recipe I stumbled across was this tomato soup. I love tomato soup, it's always been one of my favourites but I never attempted to make it, until Jamie came to the rescue with this recipe. 

Here it is ...

Ingredients

  • 2 carrots
  • 2 sticks of celery
  • 2 medium onions
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • olive oil
  • 2 vegetable stock cubes
  • 2 x 400g tins of plum tomatoes
  • 6 large ripe tomatoes
  • a small bunch of fresh basil
  • sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Method
  • Peel and roughly slice the carrots
  • Slice the celery 
  • Peel and roughly chop the onions
  • Peel and slice the garlic
  • Put a large pot on a medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil
  • Add all your chopped veg and sliced ingredients and mix together with a wooden spoon
  • Cook for 10 to 15 minutes with the lid askew, until the carrots have softened but are still holding their shape, and the onion is lightly golden
  • Put the stock cubes into a jug and pour in 1.8 litres of boiling water from the kettle
  • Stir until the stock cubes are dissolved, then add to the pot with your tinned and fresh whole tomatoes
  • Give it a good stir and bring to the boil
  • Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes with the lid on 
  • Now pick your basil leaves 

To serve the soup
  • Remove pot from the heat
  • Season with salt and pepper and add the basil leaves
  • Using a hand blender or liquidizer, pulse the soup until smooth

  • Season again before dividing between your serving bowls

Luckily I had just bought a little basil plant before I made the soup. I seem to have bad luck growing/keeping herbs and plants. Usually the basil plants die as soon as I bring them home from the supermarket. They just tilt and then they are usually shriveled up and dead by the time I notice. But I did manage to save some healthy basil leaves this time.



I thought it turned out really nice. Not astonishingly amazing tasting or anything -I sometimes just set myself up to be disappointed- but it was nice. Maybe I should have seasoned it a bit more. I think that now I have the basic knowhow to make it, I'll start experimenting with it to make THE perfect tomato soup. As soon as I master that I'll let you know. If anyone does have an amazing tomato soup recipe, please pass it this way! 

2 comments:

  1. This soup looks very yummy and love to try cooking Jamie Oliver's recipes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zoe, you should try some of his recipes, they are usually pretty straight forward & turn out tasting very nice!

    ReplyDelete