Thursday, February 23, 2012

Bye bye baking! (For a little while)


So, with Lent having just started and everything, I have  decided this year to be practical about what I'm going to give up for 40 days and 40 nights. I usually set myself up for failure, giving up general stuff like chocolate, which never really goes according to plan. It just makes me want it more. I've done this for years, since I was a child, and I never learn. Not only would I eat some chocolate, I would also slyly start eating my easter egg that was hidden high up at the back of a press  which I needed a ladder to get to. And I would usually finish it off way before Easter  and neatly fix the foil back into the egg-shaped plastic, leaving it looking as though it had never been touched. Of course I always got found out eventually.  But I didn't mind, I was quite happy that I had eaten it. It seemed to taste even better having to wait til the coast was clear and then climb up and finally get my hands on it.



My Mam used to try and figure out why I'd do such a thing, I was really well behaved throughout the rest of the year. She'd just look at me, confused, about my chocolate addiction and my disregard for Lent.  She'd explain how I would  have no chocolate on Easter Sunday, and I knew that but I just couldn't resist knowing there was chocolate waiting for me. Even though my mother would have liked to teach me a lesson my Dad seemed to understand my sweet-tooth weakness and always got me a replacement egg for the day. Phew. He did eventually learn over the years and even now he still doesn't buy my egg until like the day before. I mean that's a bit extreme, I really don't think I'd go raiding the presses every time I come to visit before Easter. But I suppose they are better to be safe than sorry. 


Anyway, this year I've decided to give up cakes, and in order to help with that I'm also giving up baking for lent! Yes, I'm hanging up my apron! I thought it'd be easier to give up both since they go hand in hand.  I also really love baking so I'm being a bit of a martyr and sacrficing something I love. Might make me feel better for all those lent-breaking early egg eating years. So for the next six or so weeks I won't be baking or eating anything sweet. Well that's the plan. I am allowing myself to bake savoury stuff though, because if I cut that out too, well that would be just too hard. And this way I can make stuff like bread that I've wanted to try for a while. Also with freed up baking time I can try some crafty things.  So, over the next few weeks I'll be making -more than baking- lovely things!

2 comments:

  1. Giving up cakes for Lent - you brave girl! It's a good idea though really, since you'll get save yourself some time aswell as calories! Love your Easter egg story :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if it was such a good idea now - I'm already counting down the days til Easter!! Can't wait! :-)

    ReplyDelete