Monday, January 23, 2012

Lovely Sushi - without the dead fish!


I love sushi. When I was in Toronto I ate it all the time, all the sushi places were so good and so cheap and cheerful. And there were so many different types, it was amazing. Then, when we went to visit my lovely friend Ash when she was in Perth, we ended up eating sushi rolls nearly every day. Mainly because they were delicious but also because they were only $2 and we were on a bit of a budget. And then when we popped across to the other side of Oz they were selling them over there too. I was so happy. It's the perfect alternative to a bread sandwich, which you can get pretty fed up with when you're constantly traveling and living in a van for weeks on end. And sushi is so good for you! I know some people don't like the idea of seaweed but that is the best bit! It's nutritious and delicious!


I also know most people think of raw fish when they think of sushi, but I don't. I've never had the raw fish variety and I don't  ever intend to. You see, I have only ever had two pets my whole entire life and they were both of the goldfish kind. So out of love and respect for Kylie and Goldie, who are no longer with us, I don't eat fish.



So anyway when I was back home and craving fish-less sushi  I realised I'd just have to make my own. I know you can buy pre-made stuff in some supermarkets but for what it actually is, its way overpriced.  So I decided to buy some sushi nori, some sushi rice and see how my own sushi might turn out.

If you want to give it a go you will need to get the following things.


To make:
  • Sushi Nori (seaweed sheets)
  • Sushi Rice (the main difference about sushi rice is that its sticky)
  • Sushi Bamboo Mat
  • Vegetables (or whatever you want) for filling
 Serve with:
  • Soy sauce
  • Wasabi 
  • Ginger
  • Chopsticks!

 Vegetables I used:
  • Avocado
  • Cucumber
  • Sundried tomatoes
  • Yellow pepper

All that stuff is in most big supermarkets although I did get the organic brown sushi rice in a health shop. Brown rice in general is way better for you than white so I decided to get it and have super-healthy sushi! But you can get normal white sushi rice in the supermarket.

Now the fun part - making it!

First of all make the rice.


Note! If you don't already have one you should so go and buy a rice cooker!
I got one a couple of years ago and it is the best thing ever. When I first started to try and eat lots of brown rice -because I read how it's packed full of B vitamins and would be sooo good for me- the one annoying thing was that it took so long (40 minutes) to cook and I'd have to waste time just standing around looking over a pot! But then I discovered the rice cooker, by accident; when I was in Hong Kong and a little old women who worked in a little old clothes shop inspired me.  She was sitting at the till working away and down on the floor beside her was an electric pot keeping her rice warm! I decided there and then I wanted one of those. And I came back and got one in Argos! You just put your rice and water into it and switch it to cook and thats it. However many minutes later your  rice is ready! And if you're not ready to eat, you just switch it from cook to warm and it just keeps it warm. I'd like to meet whoever invented this genius machine! 



OK, once the rice is cooked I usually let it cool a bit.

While it is cooling, chop your vegetables. You should try and chop them into long and slender pieces. And I usually cut the skin off the cucumber, because that seems to be what the sushi pro's do.


Then get the mat and put  the nori on it.


  • Get some rice and evenly spread it over the nori, leaving some rice-free space on each end, so you can easily roll it later.
  • Neatly place the vegetables in a line on top of the rice.

  • Then using your bamboo mat, begin to roll the sushi.


It might take a few attempts but I'm sure you'll get it eventually!



Then you can either cut it in half and eat it like a sushi sandwich or cut into smaller slices and eat like a lady!





Oh and you have to have soy sauce, ginger and wasabi on the side. But do go easy on the green stuff! 

Enjoy!

If you have any sushi recommendations please let me know and leave a comment below!

2 comments:

  1. This looks great and is beautifully colourful. We've only made sushi once, because it is a bit of a faff. But it was the nicest sushi I've ever had. Love the way you have to be so careful around wasabi too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Choclette. Yeah I think it's really nice when you make it yourself - you can make sure it's just the way you like it!

      Delete