Monday, January 30, 2012

Auntie Mary's Bean Stew


Everyone seems to have an auntie Mary don't they? You just have to have one. Well, I have an auntie Mary and I'm just gonna say it, my one is the best! She really is! Not only is she a lovely auntie but she's also an amazing cook and baker. I used to love going on holidays to visit her, one of the main reasons being I'd get to eat all the fancy food she made every day. When I say fancy I mean she was making enchiladas and stuff back in the day before I even knew what they were.  Most of Mary's food is vegetarian which I didn't really notice until I became one. And when I did - become one- I went to Auntie Mary for recipes.


I actually became vegetarian twice. The first time I decided, after years of thinking about it, to just stop eating animals. So that's what I did, I just cut out meat. Then I went to donate blood one day and they told me my iron was too low. So I had a moral dilemma, would I save the cows and continue to be vegetarian, or should I go back to eating meat so I could increase my iron levels and then donate blood and then save actual humans. So I went with the humans. But a couple years later I still wasn't loving the meat eating, so second time round I actually read books about the subject and discovered I could get iron from other sources! So with my new knowledge I became vegetarian, again. 

And anyway, one of these other iron sources that I discovered: BEANS!



Oh yeah you gotta love them and embrace them! They are very versatile and  so good for you! And this really quick and easy bean stew -courtesy of Auntie Mary- will give you a new appreciation for beans. It's delicious!

Here's all the details!



Ingredients

  • 1 Onion
  • 2 Cloves of garlic
  • 1 Red or green pepper
  • 1 Tin of tomatoes
  • 1 Tin of kidney beans
  • 1 Tin of chick peas
  • 1 Tin of black eyed beans (or pinto beans)
  • 1 Packet chili sauce mix

Method

  • Fry onion, garlic and pepper until soft
  • Add chili sauce mix

  • Add tomatoes and half a tin of water
  • Rinse beans and add to mix

  • Cook for about an hour

I love how short and simple this recipe is! I think it tastes better the longer you leave it, so the day after you make it would be good to eat it.



You can serve your bean stew with brown rice, or you could have it with garlic bread. And it makes loads, so you can freeze some of it for another day. Enjoy!

Thanks Mary! I'll be visiting soon for some more recipes! Xx

6 comments:

  1. I love making bean stews - they're so versatile. I usually make loads, then stick the leftovers in the freezer.

    Easily goes with rice, bread, pittas, jacket potatoes and pasta.

    And I often add anything in the fridge that's going over - mushrooms and courgettes work particularly well - yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh good idea I never thought to add other things to it! Will give that a try next time. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Can't beat a good bean stew in this sort of weather - yum. I usually add whatever veg I have around at the time too - usually carrots! And dumplings are a great addition too, although haven't made any of those for years. Must get on to it ;-)

    Thanks for your kind comment and for following my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dumplings would be nice - never attempted them before!

      Your blog is great and has inspired me to make more lovely chocolate things!!

      Delete
  3. Where would we be without our Auntie Marys - mine made the best omlette EVER so light and fluffy.

    This bean stew looks great, and perfect for the new year's resolutions!!

    Really enjoying your blog, and looking forward to all the new Monday meals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brownieville Girl!

      Yeah Auntie Marys are the best!

      I'm really enjoying your blog too - definitely going to get that Short & Sweet book you blogged about!

      Delete