Monday, November 21, 2011

Lovely Vegetable Soup


I love soup. It is one of the handiest things ever to make. I know there is a bit of preparation in washing and chopping the ingredients, but other than that it is just so simple. And you end up with a great big pot of soup which lasts for ages! I particulalry like vegetable soup as you can throw in whatever you want really (providing its a vegetable!). It's also an instant dose of goodness, so I'm sure you get to tick off a few of your 5-a-day by eating a bowl of this stuff!


Continuing on from  my recent and successful attempt at mushroom soup, I was quite confident in my soup making abilities and decided I'd go it alone again in my attempt to make a vegetable version. So I shunned all cookbooks and decided I'd follow my own soup intuition. I planned to  take  a similar approach to that of my mushroom soup recipe and simply  replace the mushrooms with a mixture of vegetables, and then just use the onion and some stock for extra flavour.



And it turned out lovely. So nice in fact, that I quickly decided to try and make it again while using up any vegetables that I could find. So I made another slightly altered version; instead of celery I used two parsnips, and I just used the one leek. Anyway it tasted delicious,  even nicer than the first one I think.

So now I have two vegetable soup recipes/versions to share with you.  You can choose whichever one you'd prefer to make. Or change it up with whatever vegetables you have at home. I'm sure it will turn out lovely!

Here is exactly what I used and how I made it...

Ingredients

Veg Soup (Version 1 - with celery!)
  • 1 very large onion
  • 2 leeks
  • 5 carrots
  • 1 head of celery (I used about 80% of it!)  
  • Vegetable stock (Just over 1 litre & 2 stock cubes)
  • Some olive oil



Veg Soup (Version 2 - with parsnips!) 

  • 1 very large onion
  • 1 leek
  • 5 carrots
  • 2 parsnips
  • Vegetable stock (Just over 1 litre & 2 stock cubes)
  • Some olive oil

Method

  • Wash and chop all your vegetables into small enough pieces (makes it easier to blend later)
  • Then start off by sautéing the onion in some olive oil in a large pot over a low to medium heat 
  • After a couple of minutes add in the rest of your vegetables and continue to sauté for about 10 or 15 minutes

  • Make the vegetable stock and pour in to your pot of vegetables
  • Bring to the boil then simmer for about 35 minutes
  • Blend until it is nice and lump-free!


Then eat it up and feel lovely and healthy! So nice for lunch this time of year.



If you do try to make a batch let me know which version you prefer! 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, looks so yummy. I love to eat soup. Specially this time of the year. I use to eat lots of soup when I was in Korea but I didn't eat so much here. I think I'm lazy to cook. I should cook this winter. Thanks for the good recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Seunghwa, you should definitely start making soup! I'd be interested to know what types of Korean soup you make!

    ReplyDelete