Monday, October 24, 2011

Mushroom Soup


I made mushroom soup from scratch and it actually turned out surprisingly tasty which is why I am going to share the details. I love mushroom soup and had made it before by following a recipe from  an old  Home Economics school book. (Not my book; I never did Home Ec although maybe I should have as I now have a slightly delayed curiosity for the subject!)  Anyhow this is the first time I went without a book and tried to just recall the basic ingredients and make the rest up myself. That's why I was slightly surprised at how nice the finished product tasted! So if you fancy trying to make my mushroom concoction, read on.....



What you will need:
  • Mushrooms - and lots of them! (I used about 500g)
  • An Onion - (preferably a large one)
  • A Potato - (medium size so it doesn't overpower the mushrooms!)
  • Vegetable stock (2 cubes/800ml)
  • Olive oil (just a drop)
  • An electric blender - (hand held or whatever you have)  



Now the method:

  • First of all, wash and clean your mushrooms and potato.
  • Then peel your potato and onion,  and chop them up along with the mushrooms.


  • Heat a little bit of olive oil in a large pot over a low to medium heat.
  • Sauté the chopped onion for a couple of  minutes before  adding the chopped potato and continue for a about 5 more minutes.
  • Add the mushrooms and continue sautéing while you prepare your stock.


  • Add the stock to the pot and bring to the boil.
  • Reduce the heat and allow the soup to gently simmer for about 30 minutes.
  • Finally liquidise the soup with your blender and that's it!


I didn't add any extra salt or pepper, I think there is enough salt in the stock, but you can do whatever you prefer.



It's really nice with fresh brown bread. It would be perfect with homemade brown bread, but I'll try that another day! Anyway if you attempt to make  it let me know how it goes & enjoy!



And in case you are wondering how many bowls you would get out of this, I'd say 4 very large bowls or 6 medium ones.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely food photography there, Clare, and welcome to blogging. I hope you have fun and make lots of making, baking friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mise, I'm liking the whole blogging experience so far! And I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Clare I tried this mushroom soup and it was delicious...the colour of mushroom soup's always a bit boring isn't it, but the taste was super.
    P.S., I'll share my recipe for a really easy to make wheaten bread, it'd go nicely with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cobina,
    Oh I'm so glad you made the soup - and liked it! Mushroom soup is the best! But you are right about the colour, doesn't usually look very appealing but a colourful bowl jazzes it up a bit!
    Wheaten bread sounds great - would love to attempt that! x

    ReplyDelete