Thursday, October 27, 2011

Cupcakes for a good cause


I'm sure you all know that October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.  Well my little sister Anne-Marie, who is a primary school teacher, asked me to make some pink cupcakes for her school who were  having a pink-themed fund raising day with proceeds going to the Irish Cancer Society and the Marie Keating Foundation. So of course I was delighted to make cupcakes for such an important cause.





And I got good feedback, Anne-Marie said all her colleagues  loved the cupcakes! I was very glad to hear that, most of the time it is mainly  my family and friends who get to sample my baked creations, and well, they have to say they like them! So having non-biased strangers liking them is just great!

 

To make the pink cupcakes I basically followed the same recipe from my very first post of Vanilla Cupcakes, and when it came to making the icing, just added a few drops of natural red food colouring.

If you are planning to colour your icing always make sure to only add one or two drops of colouring  at a time, it is so strong that if you were anyway heavy handed you could end up with blood-red colured cupcakes instead of a pale pink!

After you add a drop or two continue to mix. Repeat  these steps until you get your desired colour.



Then just ice the cupcake as you normally would and add your favourite toppings. Of course I went for lots of pink stuff for this occasion!




I think it's a really good idea having the month of October pink-themed for Breast Cancer. So if you're out & about and see a little pink ribbon pin for sale you should think about buying one. You'll be doing your bit to help a lot of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment